11.7.13

#SellingOut Diamonds, Guns+Punk

When criticizing bands for selling out when their songs feature in an advert, it is worth putting yourself in their shoes. Most bands have a brief flash of success before extinguishing in a puff of powder and recriminations. The earning potential though vast, is short and easily blown or inhaled. So let us hear their words;

You know, fuck it, I don't know I don't necessarily think that commercial success means selling out because you can't control who buys your shit and who doesn't, like how many people buy it and who doesn't, like fuck it, who cares. People also don't understand that.. I think when you're in a position to make money it also creates opportunities for other people, gives people jobs, that's one of the reasons I wanted to start this band in the first place, we turned into a band basically so I could give my friend a job selling merch, I could give my friend a job on the crew, as a manager.. down the line I can hire someone to print shirts... you know, there is some method to this madness  MusicSheBlogged
We can forgive, but when your musical masterpiece is used in a fucking hair advert there is not much you can say that will ever take away our suspicions that the music you apparently sweat blood and tears for was worth a soapy tit wank instead of full blown orgy.

There are of course exceptions to most rules, usually dependent upon your cash flow, unless of course you happen to be twins, your hair has been kissed by the Timotei gods and have Nelson as your last name.
The Nelson Twins succumbed to record boss pressure and renamed their song Golden Showers 
It is also worth remembering squeaky clean Whitney Houston was a crack ho.

No comments:

Post a Comment